Panel Papers Required by Adoption Panels Considering the Approval of Adopters
AMENDMENTThis chapter was revised in September 2020 and the addition of including any adult children as part of reference process.
Prospective Adopters Report
- Need photograph and physical description;
- Specifically need to address issues about achieving a balance between employment and child care;
- Need to address:
- How the applicant will meet the child's emotional and behavioural needs;
- How the applicant will share a child's history and associated emotional issues;
- How the applicant will help a child manage loss and trauma.
- Need to check the F Form has answered the following:
- Reasons for adopting;
- Views and feelings about adoption;
- Parenting capacity;
- Their understanding of Parental responsibility and what it means;
- Adopters view on a suitable home environment;
- Views about education;
- Views about religion and cultural upbringing;
- Views and feelings about contact;
- Views of other members of household and wider family in relation to adoption;
- Views of preparation course.
(Responsibility - Assessing Social Worker)
N.B. Copies ONLY - original documents MUST remain with the Family Placement Team
18 Sets of papers altogether - as listed below:
17 sets of papers, each containing:
- Front sheet containing all identifying information about the applicant(s);
- CoramBAAF Adopters Assessment Report F Part I and Part II, signed by the social worker, their manager and the applicants. The assessing social worker should ensure that the information contained within the body of the Adopters Assessment Report is current and up-to-date. Any changes should be noted in an addendum which is signed and dated;
- Copies of applicant's life chronology;
- Copies of applicant's financial statements;
- Copies if assessment and prospective adopter's needs for adoption support services to include assessment of financial needs from CSF finance department;
- Written references from couple's employers;
- 4 written references from friends of the couple (free flowing narrative);
- Copies of the Personal Reference Interview form completed by the social worker with at least 2 referees;
- Relative reference completed by social worker using Personal Reference Interview Form;
- Ex-partner's reference and any other adult children;
- Child's Permanence Report completed.
- Personal Profiles - individual or family, compiled by the applicants and must be non-identifying;
- School reports on any child(ren) aged 4+ in the family, completed within the last 4 months;
- Health Visitor's report on any child(ren) aged 0-4, already in the family and completed within the last 4 months;
- Medical Adviser's written summary on each applicant;
- Dog ownership questionnaire - if appropriate;
- Health and Safety checklist (Form A7 from The Fostering Network);
- Details of second opinion visits;
- Photographs - signed and dated on the back.
For the medical adviser, 1 set of papers with all the above information plus the full medical reports. This to be clearly marked medical adviser.
For Chair's papers only:
- Copies of any adverse reports from DBS, etc. or local authority checks. Clear references are noted on the Child's Permanence Report F.
These papers should be with the Adoption Panel Administrator at least 10 working days before panel is due to meet. They are then distributed to Panel Members allowing them time to read the papers.